Updated 06/16/2020: Drew Changes 2020 – 2021 Calendar & School Start Date
Dear Drew Families:
We hope that you are safe and well. As we continue planning our reopening for the upcoming school year, we wanted to notify you of changes to Drew’s school calendar. Yesterday, Drew’s Board of Directors approved a revised 2020-2021 school calendar, including pushing back the first day of school. The first day of school for students has been changed to August 3, 2020. (The original start date was July 27, 2020.) The amended calendar also includes updates to school breaks and holidays.
Please click here to view the amended 2020-2021 student calendar, and note that the amended calendar dates will be reflected on Drew’s website soon.
Drew Charter School is continuing to evaluate the following three possible 2020-2021 reopening models, which were previously communicated to families:
· Face-to-Face Model
· Hybrid Model (combination of Face-to-Face and Virtual)
· Virtual/e-Learning Model
While the school has not reached a decision regarding which of the three reopening models it will implement, delaying the first day of school provides administrators and staff with essential time to adequately plan for restarting under any of the proposed scenarios, particularly in terms of safety and wellness, operations, instruction, facilities and other critical reopening components. We continue to carefully evaluate the latest federal, state and local reopening guidance and are considering extenuating factors in making our decision.
As our decision has the potential to tremendously impact our families and staff, we hope to provide as much advance notice as possible of the specific reopening model Drew will implement. Please stay tuned for additional updates.
We look forward to embarking on a new year of learning with your student on August 3, 2020!
For the Love of Drew,
Head of School
Shoutout to Rising 11th Grader
We would like to thank and highlight A. Cave for sharing her expression of art about the Alabama church bombing which took place September 15, 1963 that escalated a lot of emotions, especially within the African American community. Feel free to click the link above.
Intent to Play [In Relation to All Sports]
Attached, you will find a copy of the AP summer reading list for students who selected an AP course for school year 2020-2021. The counselors have sent out an email to all those students who will need to complete the summer reading before the start of school in July. If your child selected to take an AP course and did not receive an email, please contact your child’s counselor.
Rob Richardson (Grades 9 and 11): firstname.lastname@example.org
Tara Davis (Grades 10 and 12): email@example.com
- In the interest of best serving our community, Drew has moved forward with Flynn O’Hara as our new uniform vendor. Thank you to Dr. Allen for all of her work to find a company to best serve our community. Please see the flyer and link below for more information:
|I recognize that this is a difficult time for parents and students. The level of uncertainty is troubling and at times can feel overwhelming. I encourage you to contact our counselors if you or your student need support.|
You can also receive support via a free, confidential Crisis Text Line, with trained Crisis Counselors, by texting SHARE to 741741. (This is a national resource that is available 24/7).
Drew Opportunity Fund: First Initiative
Last school year, Drew Charter launched its inaugural annual fund campaign, the Drew Opportunity Fund, in honor of our retiring Head of School Don Doran. Under Mr. Doran’s leadership Drew students had myriad opportunities to innovate, achieve, travel and compete, all of which help to close the opportunity gap and make Drew an exemplary learning community.
As this is a new initiative for Drew, please encourage others to participate, feel free to share ideas for support, and join me in making a donation to this year’s campaign if you haven’t already. The more we raise, the more we can do!
Week of 06/15 – 06/20
- 6pm- Virtual Interest Meeting for Cheer
- 3pm-5pm: Final Opportunity for Senior to Return and Retrieve items at Drew [inclusive of Senior Sign Displayed during Car Parade]
- Families of Seniors who have items at Drew were emailed last week.
- Please note access to the school building will NOT be available. Security have been advised to not allow access to outsiders until further notice.
- Please note access to the school building will NOT be available. Security have been advised to not allow access to outsiders until further notice [inclusive of staff].
- 06/24 – Virtual Cheer Tryouts
- 06/25 – Virtual Cheer Tryouts
- 09/03 – Start Date for 2021-2022 School Year
- more details coming soon..
See the information below regarding the importance of communities achieving a “complete count” in the 2020 Census!
Wifi and Internet Resources
Please see the Xfinity flyer above and information to internet access at a deep discount with Comcast–> CLICK HERE .