Purpose – Drew Charter School serves as a key component of the cradle-to-college pipeline within the holistic East Lake neighborhood revitalization. Appreciating our unique status as a mixed-income school, Drew Charter School’s primary purpose is to provide an excellent education to all children living in the Villages of East Lake so that each student reaches his or her full potential and is launched on a pathway to health, impact and prosperity.
Vision – Drew Charter School students are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and passion to create positive change in the world.
Mission – Drew Charter School is an exemplary, innovative education community that empowers all students to achieve their full potential.
Senior Academy Priorities for the Year
- A school where character and school culture are developed through positive relationships with students, parents, staff and the community.
- A school where we facilitate high quality STEAM/PBL learning, and everyone understands how these principles and practices prepare students for postsecondary success.
- A school that supports all students’ intellectual, social, and emotional growth and understands how these elements impact learning and development.
- Latoria Bailey (pictured top) and Jurnee Miller (pictured bottom for receiving full-ride Questbridge scholarships to Vassar and Tufts respectively!
- Ms. Isbell-Desprez for being selected as a FulBright Scholar! She was only one of 35 U.S. Citizens and one of two in metro Atlanta chosen for the program [full article]!
- Maura Espericueta, DeGreer Harris, Daisha Thornton and Shayla Victrum for presenting their Tiny House Project at our most recent staff meeting!
- Ms. Young, the College and Career Readiness team and 10th grade team for organizing the sophomore college trip to the AUC and Oglethorpe!
- Ms. Might for organizing the Peru student field trip to Las Brasas!
- Ms. Simmons for a really engaging lab on chemical reactions that led students in making table salt!
- Mr. Coley and his students for their ability to articulate the design process!
- Ms. Klein for having great student relationships and being generous with her lunch time, opening up her room for students to stay!
- UPCOMING STAFF BIRTHDAYS!
||Crooks, Teresa B||12 – 06|
||Shannon, Tanya M||12 – 06|
- UPCOMING STUDENT BIRTHDAYS! [Name, DOB [Month/Day], Advisor Teacher]
|Week (20): (12/04 – 12/09)|
|12/04 | Monday | “A” Day
|12/05 | Tuesday | “B” Day
|12/06 | Wednesday | “A” Day
|12/07 | Thursday | “B” Day
|12/08 | Friday | “A” Day
|12/09 | Saturday
- Week of 12/11-12/16
- GSU Early College Final Exams
- Flex Time – B-Week Clubs
- 6:00 – Prospective Parent Night for Rising 9th Graders
- Economics Milestone Administration [Selected Seniors]
- GSU Early College Final Exams
- 4:30 – Teaching and Learning Committee Meeting [Eva Davis Board Room]
- 5:30 – JV Basketball vs. CSK/BEST [Home]
- 6:30 – JA/SA Orchestra and Dance Winter Concert [Theater]
- Flex Time – One-Act Play Performance [Theater]
- 6:00 – Varsity Basketball Game vs. WD Mohammed [Home]
- 10:00 – JV Basketball Game @ Banneker
- 2:00 – Howard Admissions Event
- Week of 12/18-12/22
- Last day of Semester 1
- A-Day Midterm Exams
- 5:30 – JV Basketball vs. Tri-Cities [Home]
- 12/18, Flex Time – A-Week Clubs
- B-Day Midterm Exams
- 6:00 – Varsity Basketball @ Strong Rock Christian
- 6:30 – JA/SA Band Concert [Theater]
- Week of 12/11-12/16
- 1/4 and 1/5 – Planning and Professional Learning Days
- 1/8 – First day of Semester 2
- Saturday, 2/3, 10:00-1:00 – PTA’s 4th Annual Summer Expo for Programs serving ALL ages, in ALL areas of interest, in ALL price ranges [ Upper Campus Cafeteria]
- Saturday, 5/19, 4:00 pm – Class of 2018 Graduation Ceremony [Main Gym]
- June 4-15th – Summer Bridge Program for rising ninth grade students [Georgia Tech]
- Reminder: PTA Parent Gatherings – On November 16th we hosted our fourth PTA Senior Academy Parent Gathering. Thank you to Mr. Marshall Findlay from Applerouth for presenting (a copy of his presentation is linked here.) These gatherings will occur every third Thursday of the month, alternating between 8:15 am and 5:00 pm. There will not be a Parent Gathering in December. The next Parent Gathering will be held at 5:00 pm on Thursday, January 18th in the Eva Davis Board Room. Click Here to Become a PTA Member
- Gifted Program Parent Referral – Any parent within Atlanta Public Schools may refer his/her child for gifted and talented testing. Parents you must complete the Gifted Referral and Parental Permission Form and submit to the eligibility team for review. The referral window is December 4-15. Students of parents who make requests after this date will not be tested during the current school year. To submit this form and/or if you have any questions or concerns please contact our Gifted Team Lead, LaTrice Woods, at email@example.com.
- Eagle Giving Tree Matching Donor – In an effort to make this Christmas the very best for a bunch of our Drew students, a parent, who wishes to remain anonymous, wants to make sure EVERY SINGLE Giving Tree gift gets fulfilled. For the next week, every golden eagle taken from the Giving Tree or gift checked off the Sign-Up Genius website, this parent will MATCH that donation. Please grab an eagle from the tree on your way out of the school or look through the list of needed items online and see where you will be able to help: http://www.signupgenius.com/go/10c0f44aea82ea46-2017
- Support the Drew PTA at AmazonSmile – Order through AmazonSmile link, and Amazon will make a donation to the Drew PTA. http://smile.amazon.com/ch/58- 257763
- Drew STEAM: Engineering & Design Department Holiday Ornament Fundraiser – Support Drew’s Engineering Design Department by purchasing these beautiful and unique holiday ornaments, laser cut in our own Maker Space! 4 designs to choose from. $10 each. Deadline to order is 12/13/2017. Ornaments will be available for pick up before the Winter Holidays Break. https://form.jotform.com/73344463184155