Purpose – Drew Charter School serves as a key component of the cradle-to-college pipeline within the holistic East Lake neighborhood revitalization. Appreciating our unique status as a mixed-income school, Drew Charter School’s primary purpose is to provide an excellent education to all children living in the Villages of East Lake so that each student reaches his or her full potential and is launched on a pathway to health, impact and prosperity.
Vision – Drew Charter School students are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and passion to create positive change in the world.
Mission – Drew Charter School is an exemplary, innovative education community that empowers all students to achieve their full potential.
|A Note About Homecoming 2019|
|Dear Drew SA Parents and Guardians:|
| Thank you for all of your support in making Homecoming 2019 a success. We had a week filled with activities that displayed a strong sense of school pride. If you attended Friday’s homecoming game, you saw Drew’s team spirit and support on full display. Unfortunately, following the basketball game, a disturbance and altercation occurred in front of the JA/SA Main Campus building. The disturbance was started by non-Drew students on campus from another school. We would like to thank you for your cooperation in working with school staff and officers to ensure that everyone safely returned to their vehicles and left the campus. Please know that our administrative team is in contact with the school of the students initiating the disturbance, and we are working to appropriately handle all aspects of the situation. We are committed to doing all we can to ensure the safety of our students and their families. |
Again, thank you for your support during Homecoming at Drew. We wish for you and your student(s) a productive last week of school before the Thanksgiving break.
- To Kenaria Benton and Rayven Day for being voted the 2019-2020 Homecoming Queen and King!
- To the students on the Homecoming Court for their active involvement in the EA pep rally!
- To all student and staff members that participated in last week’s themes creating memorable moments!
- To Ms. Simmons, Davis, Wilder, McInyre, Mayes, Duffie and Mr. Powell for all of their hard work during homecoming week and all planning to coordinate Homecoming Week!
- To Ms. McKenize for stepping in to help Mrs. Simmons with last minute homecoming duties.
- To Ms. Allen, Might, and Ms. Cox for coming in on Saturday morning to help decorate for the dance!
- To Officer Shannon and Officer Bridwell for their additional support this past weekend and week for our Drew Activities!
- To Senior Academy students, Mr. Baker, Ms. Schaffer, Ms. Allen, Ms. Mayes, and Mr. Kurt, for staying late to decorate the PBL labs with their respective game themes!
- To Ms. Whittington for curating student projects and art work throughout the Senior Academy and hallways of the first floor! – Our students are TALENTED!
Week of 11/18 – 11/24
11/18| Monday | “A” Day
- Flex Time- A week Clubs
- Beta, Anime, Business Club, Chess Board Games and Cards, Debate, Football, GSA, Guitar, HRRB, Mentorship in Medicine, Peer Leadership, Student Government, Yoga, YBE
11/19 | Tuesday | “B” Day
- 3:00- Flex Time – Extended Learning: Math, Social Studies, Spanish
- 09th /10th – Extended Learning or Main Gym
- 11th/12th- Extended Learning or Cafeteria
- 5:30 SA Varsity Basketball vs. Alcovy [Main Gym]
- Golf Team Ring Ceremony (Halftime)
11/20 | Wednesday | “A” Day
- 2nd STEAM Walkthrough GADOE
- 3:00 – Flex Time: Study Hall, Pathways, EL
- Senior Community Forum
- 10th/11th Extended Learning or Main Gym
- 9th Extended Learning or Cafeteria
11/21 | Thursday | “B” Day
- 8:00 – SA Science Fair
- 8:15 – SA Parent Gathering (Principal’s Coffee) [Eva Davis Board Room]
- 3:00- Flex Time – ELA, Science, Pathways
- 09th /10th – Extended Learning or Cafeteria
- 11th/12th- Extended Learning or Practice Gym
- 3:45 – 5:45: Farm Stand [EA]
11/22| Friday | “A” Day
Dress Down day
- 1:30 – 2:20 Flex Time
- 5:30 SA Varsity Basketball @ Cherokee Bluff (Boys Only)
- Week of 11/25 – 12/01
- Thanksgiving Break
- Week of 12/02-12/08
- A Week Clubs
- Prospective Parent Night
- GSU Early College Info Session
- Week of 12/09 – 12/15
- GSU Classes End
- Blazer Day
- SA Basketball v. Grady [Main Gym]
Expectations for Home Games
When there is a home game, students that choose to stay at school are expected to wait in the cafeteria until 5:15. After 5:15 students can then go to the gym.
- Entry is ONLY permitted through the main double doors.
Students should take all of their belongings with them to the gym for the game because re-entry to the main building will not be allowed after or during the game.
- Week of 12/16-12/22
- Half Day
- Half Day
- Future Events
- 02/28- 2:30 – Spring Pep Rally [GYM]
- 05/16- Graduation
Gifted Eligibility Interest
Any Senior Academy parent who would like to request gifted eligibility testing for their child may fill out a Gifted Parent consent form at the front desk and return it to Ms. McKenzie by December 6, 2019.
New Drew Swag in School Store
Complete the order form for the new Drew sweat suits.
If you are interested in ordering, The deadline is December 3rd. The sweat suits will be available for pick up on December 17th. Payment is due upon pick up.
Cultural Exchange Opportunity
Greetings Drew Families,
I am pleased to invite you to participate in this year’s Cultural Exchange to Colombia, South America during the first two weeks of June 2020, for students/parents, grades 6through 12. Parents and students are invited to participate. Attached are three options/proposals. If you are interested in participating, please join us for an organizational meeting Tuesday, December 3, 2019, 6pm in the main lobby on the wooden steps. We will vote on the package that is most desirable for the group.
- Please feel free to email Reginald Colbert [Reginald.firstname.lastname@example.org] if you have questions before the December 3rd meeting.
- Click here to view travel details and options for securing space if interested in this opportunity.
Presentations for Student and Guardian Reference
Senior Night Presentation – If you were unable to attend or if you would like to review the information covered at the Senior Parent Night, refer to this link for the full presentation.
Junior Grade Level & College Counseling Night Presentation – If you were unable to attend or if you would like to review the information covered at the Senior Parent Night, refer to this link for the full presentation.
Continued Afterschool Protocol [Effective 09/02/19]
– To see letter click here
ATTENTION: JA/SA parents, if students arrive to school at 8am, then they should proceed to the cafeteria to get a late pass up until 8:30.After 8:30 students will receive a late pass from the main office secretary- Ms. Edwards.
- Parents/Guardians, Atlanta Public Schools has introduced a new way to record movement throughout the school on a daily basis. The new protocol is in effort to enhance Atlanta Public School’s student, staff and campus security. Once the system is installed parents/guardians will need to bring in their state ID, regardless of how long they have been a parent/guardian at Drew, to conduct any school business.
REMINDER: If you bring a meal to the school for your student before your student’s lunch period, then the lunch is required to be placed inside the cafeteria in the designated lunch cubbies.Instructional time cannot be interrupted. Moving forward administration will reinforce this policy as noted in the student/parent handbook.
| Message from Dean of Students|
CONCERNING: Food delivery and Item Drop-off Policy
| Hello SA families,|
Due to recent safety concerns, we would like to reiterate our policy on food deliveries and item drop offs during the school day.
Students are not permitted to order food to be delivered to the school at any time. This includes but is not limited to pizza, Uber Eats, GrubHub, etc. Any student order that is intercepted by staff will be disposed of immediately and students/parents will not be reimbursed.
Also, any student that is caught in the process of accepting food from a vehicle will be directed to dispose of it immediately.
In the event that a parent/guardian must bring a lunch to the school, please follow these guidelines:
- Bring the lunch prior to the designated lunch period to the main office to sign in (students will not be called out of class)
- 9th/10th grade lunch is 11:10-11:40 and 11th/12th grade lunch 12:50-1:25.
- Meal drop off will not be permitted after the student’s scheduled lunch time.
- Pack and label lunch in a closed container (sack or lunch box/bag)
- Bring lunch only for students for which you are a contact
- Please do not send unauthorized individuals with food for your student. They will not be permitted to drop it off.
- Lunches must be placed in cubby in cafeteria
- Parents/guardians are not permitted to meet their student in front of the school to deliver food, but must park, enter the building and sign in
- Please note that the lunch cubbies are not secure and we are not responsible for any lost items. Students should do their best to bring their lunches to school with them as the lunch cubbies should be used in emergency situations only.
|Lastly, students are not permitted to walk out to a car or accept anything from a person outside of the school building during the school day for any reason. Students found doing this will face disciplinary action regardless of the item accepted. All items should be dropped off at the front desk for pick up and food items should be dropped off via the procedure above. |
Thank you for following this protocol and working with Drew staff to ensure that our students receive a wonderful education in a safe environment.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Senior Academy Dean of Students
Families who still have not received their orders:
– Khakis and button downs can be purchased outside of the Tommy Hilfiger.
– Ties will be onsite and for sell at the school store tomorrow morning!
- Parents looking for uniform options can visit our online store with Tommy Hilfiger.
NOTE: The School Store Hours are 9:00 – 3:00 pm daily. The School Store is located in the Theater Box Office at the Yates/Upper Campus. - Stop by and get your Drew gear!
For Updates that occur more frequently subscribe to Remind! Instructions for the respective cohorts can be found below, feel free to join multiple.
- Parents are encouraged to join this platform, to receive updates for your student:
- Students are encouraged to join this platform, to receive updates for daily announcements within the Senior Academy [flex time updates/ A and B day rotation, etc…: