Purpose – Drew Charter School serves as a key component of the cradle-to-college pipeline within the holistic East Lake neighborhood revitalization. Appreciating our unique status as a mixed-income school, Drew Charter School’s primary purpose is to provide an excellent education to all children living in the Villages of East Lake so that each student reaches his or her full potential and is launched on a pathway to health, impact and prosperity.
Vision – Drew Charter School students are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and passion to create positive change in the world.
Mission – Drew Charter School is an exemplary, innovative education community that empowers all students to achieve their full potential.
Senior Academy Priorities for the Year
- A school where character and school culture are developed through positive relationships with students, parents, staff and the community.
- A school where we facilitate high quality STEAM/PBL learning, and everyone understands how these principles and practices prepare students for postsecondary success.
- A school that supports all students’ intellectual, social, and emotional growth and understands how these elements impact learning and development.
- All of our senior athletes and managers for cross country, softball and volleyball, who were recognized at Senior Nights last week!
- The softball team, Coach Hayes and Coach Jelks for their comeback win over Paideia last Tuesday!
- The JV and varsity volleyball teams, Coach Miriam, Coach Weaver (Kaney) and Coach Portee for beating Carver and really hustling against North Atlanta last Thursday!
- Freshman Sarai Dobbs, who hit a beautiful tee-shot for Hope to open the PGA Tour Championship and to her brother Junior Solomon Dobbs who spoke at the opening ceremony last Thursday!
- Coach Nyre, Coach Jeff and Coach Lott for all of their work training both Sarai and Solomon!
- Mr. Parkers’ students for taking volleyball game photos!
- All staff and families for your patience as we shifted traffic and parking this past week for the PGA Tour Championship to support the Band Booster Club and East Lake Foundation!
- Ms. Davis, the Ninth Grade Team and the CCR Team for facilitating a great Freshman Parent Night last Wednesday (a electronic copy of the presentation from this night is available here)!
|WEEK 10 ~ 9/25 – 9/30
Hispanic Heritage Festival
|9/25 | Monday | “A” Day
|9/26 | Tuesday | “A” Day
|9/27 | Wednesday | “B” Day
|9/28 | Thursday | “A” Day
|9/29 | Friday | “B” Day
|9/30 | Saturday
- 10/4 – SA Cross Country APS Championship @ Grant Park
- Yearbook Picture Day [Student must have their blazers to take their picture.]
- 6:30 – Drew’s Got Talent Show [Theater]
- 10/6, 1:30-4:00 – 10th Grade Kickback [Location TBD]
- October 9-13th – No School: Fall Break
- 10/9 – Professional Learning and Planning Day for staff
- 10/10-10/13 – Fall Break [All but annual staff]
- 10/17, 6:00 – FAFSA Completion Night
- 10/19, 5:00 – SA PTA Parent Gathering [Eva Davis Boardroom – Attorney Doug Ammar, who is the Executive Director of the Georgia Justice Project, www.gjp.org will talk about the criminal justice system, knowing your rights and having resources for yourself and others.
- 10/20, 8:15-9:15 – Senior Breakfast [Cafeteria]
- 10/24 – 8/9th Grade PSAT Administration [Flyer and resources available here]
- 10/25 – 10/11th Grade PSAT Administration [Flyer and resources available here]
- 10/27 – STEAM Career Day
- 11/8 – PBL Showcase
- 5/19, 4:00 pm – Class of 2018 Graduation Ceremony [Main Gym]
- June 4-15th – Summer Bridge Program for rising ninth grade students [Georgia Tech]
- Drew EagleNation Athletic Booster Club – Parents/guardians, you are invited to attend our first Drew EagleNation Athletic Booster Club meeting tonight at 6pm in the Cafeteria. Please note that our goal as a club is to raise funds to support programming, scholar-athletic development and school spirit for all Junior Academy, Junior Varsity and Varsity Sports Programs, Athletes and Coaches at Drew. Please join the Booster Club as a member. You can join for as low as $20(Green Level) right now during our “FireSale!” The $60 Gold Level gets you a T-shirt. Our application with levels is attached or you can join here on our website: http://dreweaglenation.org/main/otherbooster/id/39937709
- PTA Fall Festival – It’s that time of year again… the Fall Festival is September 30th from 12-4, it’s one of the PTA’s biggest social events of the year! It’s not possible without your help! Here are ways you can get involved. Email firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions. We look forward to working with you and seeing you at the Fall Festival!
- VOLUNTEER: there are a wide variety of ways to help and/or donate. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0c49acac2fa75-drew1
- BUY TICKETS: PTA Store at www.drewcharterschoolpta.com Tickets will also be available for purchase before and after school next week.
- BE VENDOR: https://form.jotform.us/72493604484159
- PTA Spirit Night – Oct. 4 from 5 – 8 p.m. is Drew PTA Spirit Night in East Lake! Dine out at GREATER GOOD BBQ or MIXED UP BURGERS at the intersection of 2nd Avenue and Hosea Williams Drive in East Lake, and they will donate a percentage of their sales to the DREW PTA! Invite your friends! Order an extra drink and dessert! All for a good cause!! Don’t forget to mention that you’re dining out to support Drew Charter! For information or questions: http://www.drewcharterschoolpta.com/spirit-nights
- Reminder: Previous Posts – In an effort to limit the length of these posts, I am going to repeat limited announcements. If you are just now following the blog or have missed a week or two, please take a moment to review the announcements in previous posts. I hope that this is helpful.
- Reminder: PTA Parent Gathering – On September 21st we hosted our second PTA Senior Academy Parent Gathering. Kudos to Ms. Tesi Gillespie from the Dekalb County Board of Health for presenting. These gatherings will occur every third Thursday of the month, alternating between 8:15 am and 5:00 pm. The next Parent Gathering will be held at 5:00 pm on Thursday, October 19th in the Eva Davis Board Room. Attorney Doug Ammar, Executive Director of the Georgia Justice Project, will be presenting and engaging around our children interacting with the police and knowing our rights. Click Here to Become a PTA Member
- Reminder: Free and Reduced Lunch –
- Reminder: MyPaymentsPlus – In order to make paying for dues, field trips and other fees easier and to limit the use of cash, we have enabled online payments by credit card and bank account through MyPaymentsPlus. Information to register is available on this flyer.