Purpose – Drew Charter School serves as a key component of the cradle-to-college pipeline within the holistic East Lake neighborhood revitalization. Appreciating our unique status as a mixed-income school, Drew Charter School’s primary purpose is to provide an excellent education to all children living in the Villages of East Lake so that each student reaches his or her full potential and is launched on a pathway to health, impact and prosperity.
Vision – Drew Charter School students are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and passion to create positive change in the world.
Mission – Drew Charter School is an exemplary, innovative education community that empowers all students to achieve their full potential.
Senior Academy Priorities for the Year
- A school where character and school culture are developed through positive relationships with students, parents, staff and the community.
- A school where we facilitate high quality STEAM/PBL learning, and everyone understands how these principles and practices prepare students for postsecondary success.
- A school that supports all students’ intellectual, social, and emotional growth and understands how these elements impact learning and development.
- The varsity volleyball team, Coach Weaver (Kaney) and Coach Miriam for their hustle a week ago Tuesday and for winning a tight game with Paideia!
- Mr. Parkers’ students for taking cross country meet photos and volleyball game photos!
- The newly accepted Mu Alpha Theta (Math Honor Society) members!
- Blake Turpeau
- Peyton Rodgers
- Mauro Espericueta
- Victoria Nunnally
- Haley Whetstone
- Nazjaa Hughson
- Chauncey Bridges
- Nathaniel Dobson III
- Kim Nguyen
- Peyton Rodgers who finished 5th overall for girls in the team’s first city cross-country!
- Legacy class alumnus Alvin Winston II, for making the Yale University mock trial team [link]!
- Ms. DuBose, who joins us as our Partners in Education administrative professional, working with Ms. Livingston!
- Ms. Mason and Ms. Kaney for reaching out to the 9th grade team to plan the Freshmen college tour!
- The Homecoming committee for agreeing to extra committee meetings in order to plan the best Homecoming at Drew, yet!
- Mr. Canney and Mr. Baker for encouraging students to push their creative limits with technology in the classroom!
|WEEK 9 ~ 9/18 – 9/23|
|9/18 | Monday | ”B “ Day
|9/19 | Tuesday | ”A “ Day
|9/20 | Wednesday | ”B “ Day
|9/21 | Thursday | ”A “ Day
|9/22 | Friday | ”B “ Day
|9/24 | Saturday
- 9/25, 6:00 – Drew Board of Directors Meeting
- 5:00 – Cross Country Meet @ Grant Park
- 5:30 – Girls Softball @ Creekside
- 6:00 – Junior Parent Night [Theater]
- Flex Time – Ninth Grade Community Forum [Cafeteria]
- 5:00 – Varsity Volleyball @ Washington HS/TBD
- 9/29 –
- End of First Quarter
- Flex Time – Hispanic Heritage Month Dance Assembly [Theater]
- 9/30, 12:00-4:00 – PTA Fall Festival
- 10/4 – SA Cross Country APS Championship @ Grant Park
- Yearbook Picture Day
- 6:30 – Drew’s Got Talent Show [Theater]
- 10/9 – No School: Professional Learning and Planning Day
- 10/10-10/13 – No School: Fall Break
- 10/19, 5:00 – SA PTA Parent Gathering
- Eva Davis Boardroom – Attorney Doug Ammar, who is the Executive Director of the Georgia Justice Project, www.gjp.org will talk about the criminal justice system, knowing your rights and having resources for yourself and others.
- 11/8 – PBL Showcase
- 5/19, 4:00 pm – Class of 2018 Graduation Ceremony [Main Gym]
- Mid-Quarter Progress Reports – We anticipate that Mid-Quarter Progress Reports will be printed and provided to student during Advisory on Wednesday, September 20th. Please note that parents, guardians and students can access class schedules, attendance records and grades through the Parent and Student Portals which are easy-to-use, secure communications tools. Additionally, the Parent Portal enables parents to verify household information, including their email address, home address and telephone numbers. Parents can sign up using the directions available here.
- Senior Academy Facebook Page – Are you more of a Facebook person than an Instagram or Twitter person? There is now a Drew Charter Senior Academy Facebook Page available here. Like it to get the latest updates about the Senior Academy.
- Scholastic Book Fair – Our Scholastic Book Fair is now open! Due to our school closing, the book fair is extended to September 20th. Online Scholastic ordering is also available at http://www.scholastic.com/bf/drewcharterjrsracademy2.
- Drew Dads – Drew Dads exists to highlight opportunities for dads and male role models to support our students and teachers. As a PTA committee, we encourage involvement through volunteering and participation in the school community. Through Dads & Donuts we hope to provide an opportunity for all male role models to meet our leadership, ask questions, learn more about upcoming PTA events and sign up to volunteer where interested. Drew Dads feels it’s important for our kids to see that our entire community values their teachers and their education and it’s essential for them to see that volunteering and involvement is something that all parents can do. Join us: http://www.drewcharterschoolpta.com/dads-donuts
- Graduation Committee Parent/Guardian Representatives – Interested in supporting with the planning for the Class of 2018 Graduation? Please email Ms. Pryor at email@example.com.
- Reminder: Previous Posts – In an effort to limit the length of these posts, I am only going to repeat limited announcements. If you are just now following the blog or have missed a week or two, please take a moment to review the announcements in previous posts. I hope that this is helpful.
- Reminder: PTA Parent Gathering Minutes – On August 17th we hosted our first PTA Senior Academy Parent Gathering. Kudos to Genie McGee for facilitating and Jennifer McCrary for typing up these minutes. These gatherings will occur every third Thursday of the month, alternating between 8:15 am and 5:00 pm. The next Parent Gathering will be held at 8:15 am on Thursday, September 21st in the Eva Davis Board Room. Ms. Tesi Gillispie from the Adolescent Health & Youth Development Department of the Dekalb County Board of Health will talk about STDs. Click Here to Become a PTA Member
- Reminder: Free and Reduced Lunch –
- Reminder: MyPaymentsPlus – In order to make paying for dues, field trips and other fees easier and to limit the use of cash, we have enabled online payments by credit card and bank account through MyPaymentsPlus. Information to register is available on this flyer.