• To Officer Shannon for her promotion to Sergeant with APS and to Symara Ford for her attendance at the pinning ceremony!
• To Roderick Thomas for being announced the 2020 Youth of the Year for Camp Kiwanis Boys & Girls Club – see article here!
• Thank you to all the social/emotional counselors in EA, JA, & SA for all of their hard work in supporting students with navigating mental health!
• To the homecoming team for all the work and effort put into the execution of a Virtual Homecoming!
• To the 10th grade team for having 400+ participants involved in their 10th grade entry event!
• To Mrs. Gresham, Dr. Kurt, and Mrs. Diaz for their efforts in putting together an excellent PBL Showcase, especially for the creative interactive and vibrant activities for the younger participants; which kept them engaged!
• To the CCR Team for meeting student needs through their dark times and putting effort forth each day!
• To Mrs. Wilder for always showing up and giving her best to SWD students even when she does not feel her best!
• Thank you to all who assisted with Senior Pictures and all the help to seeing that day come to fruition!
• To Mrs. Hood, Mrs. Hecht, Mr. White, & Mrs. Tafari for facilitating great collaboration lessons between Advanced Composition and Forensic Science!
• To Camille Irvin for her great work ethic, positive attitude and always being on time to every single class!
• To Byron Darnton for taking his weaving and dyeing works into the far yonder beyond expectations!
• To Quindarius Grimes for trying many different options to solve a problem and for staying in touch via Google Classroom over the weekend!
• To Olivia Pearson and River Davis for overcoming adversity, persisting, and getting it done!
• To Mrs. Klein and Dr. Morgan for their timely and detailed feedback for students on each part of their Odyssey Essays!
• To our winners of game night Mrs. Thompson, Mrs. Harper, and Mrs. Irvin!
Please remember that Drew’s counseling team is always available to assist you and your student. Please feel free to reach out directly as needed. Social emotional counselor contact information is listed below:
- 9th and 11th- firstname.lastname@example.org
- 10th and 12th: email@example.com
- Dean of CCR: firstname.lastname@example.org
As we enter the holiday season, we hope that these targeted support opportunities will proactively assist in addressing many of the critical mental health and wellness needs of our Drew community. We strongly encourage you and your family to participate in offered activities and access available resources. ~ K. Myers
|I recognize that this is a difficult time for parents and students. The level of uncertainty is troubling and at times can feel overwhelming. I encourage you to contact our counselors if you or your student need support.|
You can also receive support via a free, confidential Crisis Text Line, with trained Crisis Counselors, by texting SHARE to 741741. (This is a national resource that is available 24/7).
Greetings Drew Family,
Thank you for your continued support and engagement. We truly enjoy working with you and your family. Together we have continued to embrace triumphs and challenges that make this a thriving and growing learning community. I am hopeful that each family has a restful break. I look forward to seeing everyone return with new energy and excitement to close out this semester.
As we all head into this break, I would like to remind you that Term 2 Progress report cards are available in Parent Portal. The progress report can be printed as well if needed. As always stay safe and enjoy your week!
Week of 11/30- 12/06
ALL CAMPUSES WILL BE VIRTUAL
- Week of 12/05-12/11
- 12/02- Parent University Event
- 12/08- HYPE Event
- 12/09- 6pm- Prospective Parent Night
- 12/11 – Lantern Parade
- 12/16 – Monthly Principal’s Coffee [12PM]
- 12/21-01/04- HOLIDAY BREAK
- 01/05-01/08- **QUARANTINE WEEK – ALL CAMPUSES WILL BE VIRTUAL**
- Please note teachers operating in a hybrid capacity will not have access to the building during quarantine week(s)
- 01/05-01/08- **QUARANTINE WEEK – ALL CAMPUSES WILL BE VIRTUAL**
- 01/18 – MLK DAY
- 01/20 – Monthly Principal’s Coffee [12PM]
Check this out!
The Decatur Maker Space is building desks for students – nothing fancy (see photo) but very functional. Here is a link to the article. https://decaturmakers.org/building-free-desks-youth/
- They will be making two kinds, a folding desk and a non-folding desk. If you know of a student who needs a desk to learn from home, please pass this link along.
- Complete the application link for one here –> https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSd_qTEVn_DYByEN_UkVf10ffymS5p2yJtjlzI09VcKDlmGFaw/viewform
THIS IS NOT SPONSORED BY DREW AND WE DON’T HAVE ANY ADDITIONAL INFORMATION ON THIS PROCESS.
Free meals available to ALL children in the District – Including Drew Students – Through December 31, 2020
|The U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) recently announced an extended waiver which allows free meals to all children (ages 1-18) in communities designated as areas of community eligibility. The entire state of Georgia has been declared an area of community eligibility through Dec. 31, 2020. The weekly 5-day meal kits (5-breakfast meals and 5-lunch meals) will still be available for pick up at Drew’s Elementary Academy each Monday between 2 p.m. and 5:30 p.m. However, between now and December 31st families no longer need to pre-order their meals through MySchoolBucks. You can simply show up during distribution hours to receive meals. Upon arrival at Drew during the pick-up window, you will simply state how many meal kits you need for children between ages 1 and 18, and they will be provided. Alternatively, now through December 31, Drew families may also pick up the free weekly meal kits at any of these 14 other school distribution sites throughout the district on Mondays – See here for more info.|
Wifi and Internet Resources
Please see the Xfinity flyer above and information to internet access at a deep discount with Comcast–> CLICK HERE .
The PTA Needs YOU!
This year, more than ever, Drew teachers and families need our support!
What do the PTA dues and fundraising efforts pay for (especially during the 2020-21 school year)?
● Teacher Appreciation Gifts
● Donations to The Opportunity Fund – which supports Drew families
● Teacher and Classroom Grants – for projects enhancing student learning
Some past examples include:
Leveled library with cart to be shared across a single grade level
Class set of guitars
iPads/Chromebooks for use within a specific classroom
Beekeeping materials and bees
Drones for a robotics club
Materials and choreography for a choral performance
This support for our students, teachers and families would not be possible without your membership!
Join or renew today! www.drewcharterschoolpta.com