Purpose – Drew Charter School serves as a key component of the cradle-to-college pipeline within the holistic East Lake neighborhood revitalization. Appreciating our unique status as a mixed-income school, Drew Charter School’s primary purpose is to provide an excellent education to all children living in the Villages of East Lake so that each student reaches his or her full potential and is launched on a pathway to health, impact and prosperity.
Vision – Drew Charter School students are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and passion to create positive change in the world.
Mission – Drew Charter School is an exemplary, innovative education community that empowers all students to achieve their full potential.
Continued Afterschool Protocol [Effective 09/02/19]
– To see letter click here
ATTENTION: JA/SA parents, if students arrive to school at 8am, then they should proceed to the cafeteria to get a late pass up until 8:30.After 8:30 students will receive a late pass from the main office secretary- Ms. Edwards.
- Parents/Guardians, Atlanta Public Schools has introduced a new way to record movement throughout the school on a daily basis. The new protocol is in effort to enhance Atlanta Public School’s student, staff and campus security. Once the system is installed parents/guardians will need to bring in their state ID, regardless of how long they have been a parent/guardian at Drew, to conduct any school business.
- To the Cross Country team for qualifying in the regional meet!
- 28 students from the team will be competing on 10/24!
- To Tyra Wise, Toren Mosley, Terron Joiner, Sarai Dobbs, Jaquez Moore, Lilly Nunnally, Alana Cason, Jayla Staples, and Malik Ingram for leading a Professional Development for teachers on teacher work day!
- To students Tyra Jones, Destiny Terry, Myah Crowell, and others who have stayed after and offered their extra time into help clean the art room!
- To the Sopmore clsss, CCR team, Mr. Harris, and Dr. Allen for a successful overnight sophomore trip to visit schools in South Georgia and Florida
- To Ms. Simmons for being an advocate for students and staff!
- To Ms. Klein for utilizing the 9th grade PBL Lab for students to actively engage in learning and display their projects!
- To Ms. Hood for finding creative ways to actively engage students in Forensic Science content!
Week of Week of 10/14-10/20
10/14| Monday | NO SCHOOL
10/15| Tuesday | “A” Day
- 11:00 -1:00 Purpose Built Communities Tour
- 3:00- Flex Time – Extended Learning: Math, Social Studies, Spanish
- 09th /10th – Extended Learning or Main Gym
- 11th/12th- Extended Learning or Cafeteria
10/16| Wednesday | “B” Day
- 8:00 – 10th/11th PSAT testing
- 9th and 12th grade 1st lunch
- 10th and 11th grade 2nd lunch
- 3:00 – Flex Time: Study Hall, Pathways, EL
- 10th/12th Extended Learning or Main Gym
- 9th/11th Extended Learning or Cafeteria
- Blazer Day
- 8:00- Makeup Picture Day
- 3:00- Flex Time – ELA, Science, Pathways
- 09th /10th – Extended Learning or Cafeteria
- 11th/12th- Extended Learning or Practice Gym
- 5:30- Annual Title I Informational Meeting
10/18| Friday |
- 1:30 – 2:20 Flex Time
- 3:30 – Dismiss Volleyball players to compete in State playoffs
- Week of 10/20 -10/26
- 10/21 – 10/29
- Fall Benchmarks
- Community Forum [Freshman]
- PSAT 8th/9th Grade
- STEAM Career Day
- 10/21 – 10/29
- Week of 10/27 – 11/2
- Community Forum [Seniors]
- Half Day Conferences
- 8:00 – Senior Breakfast [TBD]
- Empowerment Conference
- Week of 11/3 – 11/9
- Staff Meeting
- Faculty v. Student Basketball Game
- 11/15- 2:30 -SA Homecoming Pep Rally [GYM]
- 11/21 – SA Science Fair
- 02/28- 2:30 – Spring Pep Rally [GYM]
- 05/16- Graduation
ATTN: Current or Future Athletes
Dear Drew Parents/Guardians: Winter Sports Registration is NOW OPEN!!!
If your student is interested in participating in winter sports at Drew, online registration, through a new system known as FamilyID, is required to try-out for and/or to play on the following winter sports team(s):
- Senior Academy E-Sports
- Senior Academy Dance Team
- Varsity Girls Basketball
- Varsity Boys Basketball
- JV Boys Basketball
- Middle School Boys Basketball
- Middle School Girls Basketball
Online registration through FamilyID is open now through Friday, October 18th. (Please note, if you completed registration for Fall Sports, your information have been saved in your FamilyID account and will auto-populated when you register for Winter Sports.
To complete the online registration process, you will need the following:
- A copy of your student’s current sports physical that was completed by a medical professional.
Note: You will need to upload the completed sports physical form during the registration process. Instructions for how to upload the form will be provided when you register. (If you do not have a current Sports Physical, please obtain one from a medical professional prior to registering. The sports physical is valid for one year.)
- Doctor’s Information (name, address, phone number)
- Health Insurance information
- Emergency Contact Information
For step-by-step instructions and to complete the registration process, click the link HERE.
Thank you. Please be sure to register your student by the Friday, October 18th deadline.
Presentations for Student and Guardian Reference
Senior Night Presentation – If you were unable to attend or if you would like to review the information covered at the Senior Parent Night, refer to this link for the full presentation.
Junior Grade Level & College Counseling Night Presentation – If you were unable to attend or if you would like to review the information covered at the Senior Parent Night, refer to this link for the full presentation.
Reflections Art Competition
For information or to order, visit our PTA website now through August 28
SUBMISSION DEADLINE 10/18
MORE INFORMATION & ENTRY FORM
National PTA’s Reflections program has helped students explore their own thoughts, feelings and ideas, develop artistic literacy, increase confidence and find a love for learning that will help them become more successful in school and in life. Each year, over 300,000 students in Pre-K through Grade 12 create original works of art in response a student-selected theme. The theme for the 2019-2020 program year is Look Within. Students submit their completed works of art in one or all of the available arts categories: Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, Visual Arts.
Last year Drew Charter sent 12 students from all 3 Academies on to the State-wide competition in Literature, Photography, & Visual Arts!!
|Edgewood Dine-out! – Dine-out at Willy’s and a portion of the proceeds will be donated to the Drew Charter School PTA! |
Tuesday, Nov 5th [5-8pm]
Willy’s Mexican Grill in the Edgewood Retail District!
School Procedure Reminders
REMINDER: If you bring a meal to the school for your student before your student’s lunch period, then the lunch is required to be placed inside the cafeteria in the designated lunch cubbies.Instructional time cannot be interrupted. Moving forward administration will reinforce this policy as noted in the student/parent handbook.
| Message from Dean of Students|
CONCERNING: Food delivery and Item Drop-off Policy
| Hello SA families,|
Due to recent safety concerns, we would like to reiterate our policy on food deliveries and item drop offs during the school day.
Students are not permitted to order food to be delivered to the school at any time. This includes but is not limited to pizza, Uber Eats, GrubHub, etc. Any student order that is intercepted by staff will be disposed of immediately and students/parents will not be reimbursed.
Also, any student that is caught in the process of accepting food from a vehicle will be directed to dispose of it immediately.
In the event that a parent/guardian must bring a lunch to the school, please follow these guidelines:
- Bring the lunch prior to the designated lunch period to the main office to sign in (students will not be called out of class)
- 9th/10th grade lunch is 11:10-11:40 and 11th/12th grade lunch 12:50-1:25.
- Meal drop off will not be permitted after the student’s scheduled lunch time.
- Pack and label lunch in a closed container (sack or lunch box/bag)
- Bring lunch only for students for which you are a contact
- Please do not send unauthorized individuals with food for your student. They will not be permitted to drop it off.
- Lunches must be placed in cubby in cafeteria
- Parents/guardians are not permitted to meet their student in front of the school to deliver food, but must park, enter the building and sign in
- Please note that the lunch cubbies are not secure and we are not responsible for any lost items. Students should do their best to bring their lunches to school with them as the lunch cubbies should be used in emergency situations only.
|Lastly, students are not permitted to walk out to a car or accept anything from a person outside of the school building during the school day for any reason. Students found doing this will face disciplinary action regardless of the item accepted. All items should be dropped off at the front desk for pick up and food items should be dropped off via the procedure above. |
Thank you for following this protocol and working with Drew staff to ensure that our students receive a wonderful education in a safe environment.
Please let me know if you have any questions.
Senior Academy Dean of Students
Families who still have not received their orders:
– Khakis and button downs can be purchased outside of the Tommy Hilfiger.
– Ties will be onsite and for sell at the school store tomorrow morning!
- Parents looking for uniform options can visit our online store with Tommy Hilfiger.
NOTE: The School Store Hours are 9:00 – 3:00 pm daily. The School Store is located in the Theater Box Office at the Yates/Upper Campus. - Stop by and get your Drew gear!
For Updates that occur more frequently subscribe to Remind! Instructions for the respective cohorts can be found below, feel free to join multiple.
- Parents are encouraged to join this platform, to receive updates for your student:
- Students are encouraged to join this platform, to receive updates for daily announcements within the Senior Academy [flex time updates/ A and B day rotation, etc…: