Purpose – Drew Charter School serves as a key component of the cradle-to-college pipeline within the holistic East Lake neighborhood revitalization. Appreciating our unique status as a mixed-income school, Drew Charter School’s primary purpose is to provide an excellent education to all children living in the Villages of East Lake so that each student reaches his or her full potential and is launched on a pathway to health, impact and prosperity.
Vision – Drew Charter School students are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and passion to create positive change in the world.
Mission – Drew Charter School is an exemplary, innovative education community that empowers all students to achieve their full potential.
- Thanks for a great school year thus far. As we continue to support our students and provide a safe and nurturing school environment, we ask that all parents be sure to read this communication regarding our continued after school process.
ATTENTION: JA/SA parents, if students arrive to school at 8am, that they should proceed to the cafeteria to get a late pass up until 8:30.After 8:30 students will receive a late pass from the main office secretary- Ms. Edwards.
REMINDER: If you should bring a meal to the school for your student after the students’ lunch period, then the lunch is required to be placed inside the cafeteria in the designated lunch cubbies,Instructional time cannot be interrupted. Moving forward administration will reinforce this policy as noted in the student/parent handbook.
- Kentrell Russell for showing Agency in Spanish. He took his vocabulary home and studied so that he could be prepared and has since been excelling in the course.
- Kenya Little for scoring a high grade on her first Spanish Test.
- To the Varsity Volleyball Team for their win over Carver last week!
- To Ms. Simmons for ensuring students are supported in their school work by pushing students towards extended learning!
- The CCR Team for all the hard work in preparing rosters for student conferences during the first half day conference!
- Ms. Shaffer for incorporating an interdisciplinary project entry event and encouraging students to present teaching/learning strategies!
- Grade level teams for working through the parent conference day to ensure that families were able to have face-to-face meetings!
- The CCR Team and Mr. White for participation and preparation of a successful Senior Night!
- Ms. Bryant for her collaboration with the Science Department to prepare for Science Fair!
- Mr. Johnson for his continuous involvement in restorative practices and culture building with staff!
- Dr. Allen for engaging in proactive restorative practices to assist students and families!
- Coach Davis for actively being involved in student monitoring and providing students with positive reinforcement and feedback
- Coaches Wilder, A.Smith, and Livingston for bonding with the Volleyball team; the girls were able to meet the teams who played after watching the them play!
Week of 09/02- 09/08
09/02| Monday | NO SCHOOL
- LABOR DAY
09/03| Tuesday | “B” Day
- 3:00 – Flex Time: B week Clubs
- 3:10-3:30 – Tameka will assist students on the 3rd floor with club changes.
- 3:35-3:55 – Tameka will assist students on the 2nd floor with club changes.
09/04| Wednesday | “A” Day
- 9:15 Drew Babies Pictures
- 3:00 – Flex Time: Study Hall, Pathways, EL
- 10th/12th Extended Learning or Main Gym
- 9th/11th Extended Learning or Cafeteria
- SA Softball @ Tri-Cites [Tri-Cities High School]
- SA Cross Country [Grant Park]
09/05| Thursday | “B” Day
- 3:00- Flex Time – ELA, Science, Pathways
- 09th /10th – Extended Learning or Cafeteria
- 11th/12th- Extended Learning or Practice Gym
- 5:30 – SA Softball @ Grady [Grady High School]
09/06| Friday | “A” Day
- 1:30 – Advisory
- 6:00 – Cocktails in the park [Zaban Center @ East Lake Park 241 Daniel Ave SE Atlanta, GA 30317]
- ADULTS ONLY
- ADDITIONAL DETAILS BELOW TO PTA SECTION
09/07-08| Saturday and Sunday
- Week of 09/09 – 09/13
- 5:00 – JV/V Volleyball vs. Paideia [Paideia] 09/10
- 6pm- Junior Grade Level/College Counseling Night [Auditorium]09/11
- 5:30 – SA Softball @ N. Atlanta [North Atlanta High School], SA Cross Country [Grant Park]
- 09/12- Blazer/Picture Day
- Athletic Booster Club Meeting
- SA Softball @ Westlake [Westlake High School]
- SA Volleyball @ Maynard [Maynard Jackson High School PTSA]
- Other Dates
- 09/16- 5:30 – JV Volleyball @ S. Atlanta [South Atlanta High School]
- SA Volleyball @ KIPP [Kipp Atlanta Collegiate]
- SA Softball vs Druid Hills [Crim]
- HBCU Night
- PTA SA Parent Gathering
- Senior Night: Volleyball
- 6pm – 9/10th Grade Parent Night [2nd Floor PBL]
- 10/05 – Fall Festival [Date still Tentative]
- 11/15- 2:30 -SA Homecoming Pep Rally [GYM]
- 02/28- 2:30 – Spring Pep Rally [GYM]
- 05/16- Graduation
College and Career Readiness Programming/Events:
Junior Grade Level/College Counseling Night: The College and Career Readiness Team will host Junior Grade Level and College Counseling Night on Tuesday, September 10th! We strongly encourage all juniors parents/guardians and students to attend. School Counselor, Ms. Davis will present information regarding HS graduation requirements, class dues and general class updates. Students will also have a formal opportunity to meet and get to know their College Counselors and Early College Counselor. College Counselors will provide an overview of college admissions timeline and upcoming junior college readiness programming.
- Time: 6 pm
- Date: September 10th
- Location: Auditorium
2ND ANNUAL HBCU NIGHT – On behalf of the College and Career Readiness Team at Charles R. Drew Charter School, we would like to invite your school district, grades 9-12 to HBCU Night Join us at Charles R. Drew Charter School for an admissions and scholarship presentation and an opportunity to meet college admissions representatives! To register, click here!
- Date: Thursday, September 19, 2019
- Location: 300 Eva Davis Way SE Atlanta GA 30317 at the Yates Campus (Junior/Senior Academy) in the Auditorium
- Time: 6:00 to 7:30 pm
- Target Population: 9-12th grade students and families
The following colleges will be in attendance:
- Alabama State University
- Bethune-Cookman University
- Hampton University
- Morehouse College
- Savannah State University
Parking: We welcome you to park in any available space in any of our lots
**PLEASE NOTE** There is another high school called “Charles R. Drew High School” in Riverdale, GA. This school is unrelated to ours, and google maps often confuses us. Please make sure to double check your map before heading to the school. Please also be mindful that the elementary school campus is down the hill from the Senior Academy, and your map may take you there. Please use this destination for google maps here.
- Contact Information:
- CLICK HERE TO JOIN PTA TODAY!
- Upcoming Events
- September 6th | Cocktails in the Park (adults only)
- From 7-9 pm at the Zaban Center at East Lake Park 241 Daniel Ave SE Atlanta, GA 30317
- PLEASE RSVP HERE
- September 6th | Cocktails in the Park (adults only)
YMCA - Childcare:
$25 for one child as well a sibling discount of $10 off for each
additional child. To receive the sibling discount, register in person at
the Eastlake YMCA instead of online.
REGISTER ONLINE FOR YMCA PARENTS' NIGHT OUT HERE
- October 5th | 12-4pm | Fall Festival: (date is tentative)
Reflections Art Competition
For information or to order, visit our PTA website now through August 28
SUBMISSION DEADLINE 10/18
MORE INFORMATION & ENTRY FORM
National PTA’s Reflections program has helped students explore their own thoughts, feelings and ideas, develop artistic literacy, increase confidence and find a love for learning that will help them become more successful in school and in life. Each year, over 300,000 students in Pre-K through Grade 12 create original works of art in response a student-selected theme. The theme for the 2019-2020 program year is Look Within. Students submit their completed works of art in one or all of the available arts categories: Dance Choreography, Film Production, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, Visual Arts.
Last year Drew Charter sent 12 students from all 3 Academies on to the State-wide competition in Literature, Photography, & Visual Arts!!
Families who still have not received their orders:
– Khakis and button downs can be purchased outside of the Tommy Hilfiger.
– Ties will be onsite and for sell at the school store tomorrow morning!
- Parents looking for uniform options can visit our online store with Tommy Hilfiger.
NOTE: The School Store Hours are 9:00 – 3:00 pm daily. The School Store is located in the Theater Box Office at the Yates/Upper Campus. - Stop by and get your Drew gear!
For Updates that occur more frequently subscribe to Remind! Instructions for the respective cohorts can be found below, feel free to join multiple.
- Parents are encouraged to join this platform, to receive updates for your student:
- Students are encouraged to join this platform, to receive updates for daily announcements within the Senior Academy [flex time updates/ A and B day rotation, etc…: