Please find information below provided by our Peer Leadership students for the National School Walkout Event scheduled for tomorrow morning. Please remember that participation is optional and students who choose to participate should be prepared to participate in a way that reflects the sadness that surrounds this tragedy. Please thank our awesome Peer Leaders for organizing this event. They have been working really hard to prepare for this.
Student Information for the National School Walkout
On February 14, 2017, a deadly school shooting occurred at Stoneman Douglas High School in Parkland, FL. This event has placed school and student safety in the national spotlight, and it has launched a movement to not only memorialize the victims but also ensure that school safety remains a priority for lawmakers. Please watch a video recapping the event and naming the victims by clicking here.
At 10 a.m. on March 14, you have the opportunity to join with students across the country in a positive and peaceful show of support for those who lost their lives in this deadly attack. If you choose to participate, we ask that you adhere to the following guidelines:
- Stay with your Advisor and closely follow his/her instructions. Click here to see a map of where advisories will be located on the field.
- This is designed to be a sombre and reflective event. Please follow Drew’s School Norms and pay close attention to the following guidelines:
- Report directly to the Athletic field when you are dismissed and remain with your Advisor.
- Remain silent during the 17-minute program.
- Do not bring book bags, food, or beverages onto the field.
- Do not bring any additional signs. Only signs prepared in your Advisory will be allowed.
- Once you are on the field, you will not be dismissed back into the building until the program is over.
- It will be cold. Please bring a coat and warm clothes.
- Outside visitors will not be allowed to participate. The campus will be closed for the duration of the program.
- Peer Leaders are there to help make sure that you get the most out of this event. If you have questions, please ask them.
- Take time to reflect.
We will be using the countdown clock on the scoreboard to mark the beginning and the ending of the event. The event will officially start at 10:00 a.m. and will end at 10:17 a.m.
Dismissal – Peer Leaders will dismiss Advisories to return to 2nd Period at the end of the program.
What if I don’t want to participate?
That is absolutely fine. If you choose not to participate, please report to one of the following locations when your Advisory is dismissed to the field:
9th Grade: Rm. 202
10th Grade: Rm. 216
11th Grade: Rm. 304
12th Grade: Rm. 318