Purpose – Drew Charter School serves as a key component of the cradle-to-college pipeline within the holistic East Lake neighborhood revitalization. Appreciating our unique status as a mixed-income school, Drew Charter School’s primary purpose is to provide an excellent education to all children living in the Villages of East Lake so that each student reaches his or her full potential and is launched on a pathway to health, impact and prosperity.
Vision – Drew Charter School students are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and passion to create positive change in the world.
Mission – Drew Charter School is an exemplary, innovative education community that empowers all students to achieve their full potential.
Senior Academy Priorities for the Year
- A school where character and school culture are developed through positive relationships with students, parents, staff and the community.
- A school where we facilitate high quality STEAM/PBL learning, and everyone understands how these principles and practices prepare students for postsecondary success.
- A school that supports all students’ intellectual, social, and emotional growth and understands how these elements impact learning and development.
Please note many activities and events will be rescheduled due to the Inclement Weather this week.
- Latrice Woods for a very awesome Biology project being planned that will incorporate the understanding of protein synthesis and GMOs with food preparation (Lunch Wars).
- To everyone participating in Drew’s Biggest Loser (someone will win over $600 dollars!!!)
- Coach Williams for leading the Varsity Boys’ Basketball Team to their first ever win against Greenforest Academy (who’ve been nationally ranked the past few years).
- All teachers who presented at our first Drew PD Day Conference, amazing job!
- Dr. Hancock for organizing our PD day and amazing guidance.
- Krachman/Math Tutoring–$200 (snacks). The JA math tutoring program takes place after school and is delivered by SA students. Through the provision of snacks, JA and SA students are encouraged to participate and prepared to engage fully.
- Might/Peru trip–$303 (guidebooks). The Peru trip, taking place for SA students for this time this summer, will provide 24 students with a language and culture immersion experience in Peru. In preparation for the trip, students and staff have been meeting to learn about the culture and history of the places they will visit, and the guidebooks provided through this grant will enable each student to have a companion study guide that will be the focus of study for the trip starting next semester.
- STUDENT BIRTHDAYS that were celebrated over the BREAK!!
- UPCOMING STUDENT BIRTHDAYS!
Week (26): (01/15-01/21)
|01/15 | Monday | Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. Day (No School)|
|01/16 | Tuesday | “A” Day
|01/17 | Wednesday | “B” Day
|01/18 | Thursday | “A” Day
|01/19 | Friday | “B” Day
|01/20 | Saturday
- 1/22 – 1/26
- 1/22 –
- Flex Time – A-Week Clubs
- Leadership Team Meeting
- 8:00-9:30 – Cinema Drive Distracted Driving 3D presentation [Theater – All Juniors and Seniors]
- Flex Time – Cinema Drive Distracted Driving 3D presentation [Theater – All Freshmen and Sophomores]
- 5:30 – Student Aid Report Review Night [2nd Floor, Collaborative Classroom]
- 5:30 – Varsity Basketball @ Eagles Landing Christian Academy
- 4:00 – Choice Theory/Reality Therapy Role Play Sessions [Leslie Schaffer’s class – A304]
- 5:30 – JV Boys Basketball @ Jackson
- APS District Science and Engineering Fair
- Flex Time – 9th Grade Community Forum [Cafeteria]
- 1 / 26
- 6:00 – Varsity Basketball @ Greenforest
- 10:00 – JV Boys Basketball vs. Therrell [Home]
- 1/22 –
- 1/29 – 2/2
- Flex Time – B-Week Clubs
- 4:15 – Committee Meetings
- 8pm Senior Night SA Boys Basketball [Landmark Christian]
- 6pm-7:30pm : Varsity Basketball Game @ Our Lady of Mercy
- Talent Development Committee Meeting
- 5:30pm- 7pm: JV Boys Basketball vs Hapeville Charter
- 5:30pm-8:30pm : JA Basketball Playoff @ TBA
- Parent Conference Half-Day
- NAEP Administration [Selected Seniors]
- Mock ACT Exam [Juniors]
- 6pm-7:30pm: Senior Night SA Boys Basketball [Landmark Christian]
- Drew PTA Summer Expo
- 12pm-3pm : Varsity Basketball vs AIS (Senior Night)
- 1:30PM SA Boys Basketball [AIS]
- 2/5 – 2/9 – National School Counseling Week
- Flex Time – A-Week Clubs
- Leadership Team Meeting
- 2/7, 4:00 – Choice Theory/Reality Therapy Role Play Sessions [Leslie Schaffer’s class – A304]
- OWL Workshop II
- ACT [ALL JUNIORS]
- 2/12 – 2/16
- Flex Time – B-Week Clubs
- Staff Meeting
- 6pm EagleNation Booster Club Meeting [ Cafeteria ]
- 2/14 – Teaching and Learning Committee Meeting
- 2/15, 8:15 – PTA SA Parent Gathering
- 2/16 – [TBD]: Steam Day [TBD] – Courtney FollowUP
- 2/18-2/20 – Junior College Trip [Washington, DC]
- 2/19-2/20 – Winter Break
- 2/21 – PD/Planning Day
- 5/19, 4:00 pm – Class of 2018 Graduation Ceremony [Main Gym]
- June 4-15th – Summer Bridge Program for rising ninth grade students [Georgia Tech]
- ATTENTION STUDENTS!
- Think you have what it takes to compete alongside some of the state’s top student-athletes? The Drew Charter School Eagles’ track and field team will be holding tryouts January 16-18 from 4:30 until 5:30. Any high school student interested in trying out is required to have a current sports physical on file with our athletic director. Tryouts will be held both on the indoor track as well as on the outdoor track so please be mindful of the weather for next week and dress accordingly. Tryouts will begin promptly at 4:30 on the outdoor track unless the weather doesn’t permit. All who make the team will be announced on Friday, January 19th. See you there!
- Opportunity: Bezos Scholars Program
Do you know a high school junior making a positive change in the community? Have your student apply for the The Bezos Scholars Program! The program selects 12 teams, comprised of a high school junior and an educator from his/her school, to participate in a year-long leadership development program. Application deadline is 2/9.
- Reminder: Title I Parent Compacts – Each year, as part of the Title I process, we revise and circulate compacts that outline the agreements between families, students, staff and the school. It is important that all families review these compacts, sign and return them. Hard copies were distributed to students, but I have also linked an electronic copy here. Students should return these to their advisory teacher.
- Remind Account for Rising Ninth Grade (Class of 2022) – Parents/guardians of rising ninth grade students can now sign up for a Remind Account for the Class of 2022. Click here for instructions.
- Reminder: Gifted Program Parent Referral – Any parent within Atlanta Public Schools may refer his/her child for gifted and talented testing. Parents you must complete the Gifted Referral and Parental Permission Form and submit to the eligibility team for review. The referral window is December 4-15. Students of parents who make requests after this date will not be tested during the current school year. To submit this form and/or if you have any questions or concerns please contact our Gifted Team Lead, LaTrice Woods, at email@example.com.
- New Nominating Committee Election Coming UP!
- Nominating Committee Election will be held on January 25, 2018 at the PTA General Body Meeting, 6:00 p.m.
- The purpose of the Nominating Committee is to recognize and seek qualified nominees for the elected leadership of the PTA. The members of the committee have a tremendous influence on the future of the PTA and should be selected carefully. The Drew Charter PTA Nominating Committee will be elected on January 25, 2018 and will spend the two months after that identifying and vetting qualified individuals who the Nominating Committee will recommend become our elected PTA Executive Board for the 2018-2019 school year.
- Nominating Committee members should have a broad acquaintance with the membership and an understanding of the organization’s functions and its purposes. The committee should include both experienced as well as newer members.
- For More Information, 2017 Drew Charter PTA Nominating Committee Nomination Form
- Reminder: PTA Parent Gatherings – On November 16th we hosted our fourth PTA Senior Academy Parent Gathering. Thank you to Mr. Marshall Findlay from Applerouth for presenting (a copy of his presentation is linked here and a video recording of the presentation is available here) These gatherings will occur every third Thursday of the month, alternating between 8:15 am and 5:00 pm. There will not be a Parent Gathering in December. The next Parent Gathering will be held at 5:00 pm on Thursday, January 18th in the Eva Davis Board Room. Click Here to Become a PTA Member
- SPONSORED EVENT FOR PARENTS
- The PTA has sponsored a workshop for parents and staff (adults-only) to learn more about talking about puberty and health with children, tweens, and teens. The event will be in the senior academy auditorium from 7-8:30 PM on Monday, January 29