Purpose – Drew Charter School serves as a key component of the cradle-to-college pipeline within the holistic East Lake neighborhood revitalization. Appreciating our unique status as a mixed-income school, Drew Charter School’s primary purpose is to provide an excellent education to all children living in the Villages of East Lake so that each student reaches his or her full potential and is launched on a pathway to health, impact and prosperity.
Vision – Drew Charter School students are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and passion to create positive change in the world.
Mission – Drew Charter School is an exemplary, innovative education community that empowers all students to achieve their full potential.
Senior Academy Priorities for the Year
- A school where character and school culture are developed through positive relationships with students, parents, staff and the community.
- A school where we facilitate high quality STEAM/PBL learning, and everyone understands how these principles and practices prepare students for postsecondary success.
- A school that supports all students’ intellectual, social, and emotional growth and understands how these elements impact learning and development.
- Seniors Kenise Neal (Boston University), Makena Bowen (College of Wooster) and Quintavus Williams (College of Wooster) for being named Posse Finalists!
- Seniors Jalil Spearman, Jurnee Miller and Latoria Bailey for being named Questbridge Scholarship Finalists!
- Junior Niara Botchwey, whose 2016-2017 Giving Point Institute fundraiser project titled “Reading for a Change” raised over six hundred dollars to purchase additional high interest books for our library!
- Senior David Aycock, who was named Student of the Semester by the Department of Mathematics, Computer Science and Engineering at GSU Clarkston!
- Senior Jayla Thrash, who was offered a scholarship to play soccer at Alabama A&M!
- Ms. Cook, Ms. Weaver and the CCR team for a great plan for 9th grade transition!
- Dr. Allen, Ms. Simmons and the Homecoming Committee for an awesome Coronation!
- Ms. White, Mr. White, Ms. Simmons, Ms. Schaffer, Ms. Nguyen, Mr. Canney, Mr. Baker, Ms. Klein and Dr. Morgan for presenting projects at the PBL Showcase!
- Ms. Williams for helping coordinate the PBL Showcase!
- The Dance 3 students and Ms. Harris for their Dance Because Performance last week and this week during advisory!
- UPCOMING STUDENT BIRTHDAYS
- Justin Yarbrough Nov 14
- Peyton Rodgers Nov 16
- Khyli Denson Nov 17
- DeGreer Harris Nov 17
- Dominique Humphries Nov 17
- Anastasia Brantley Nov 18
- Mary Payne-Owens Nov 18
- India Girault Nov 19
- Patrick Person Nov 19
- Blake Turpeau Nov 19
- Brooke Turpeau Nov 19
Week (17): (11/13- 11/18)
|11/13 | Monday | “A” Day
|11/14 | Tuesday | “B” Day
|11/15 | Wednesday | “A” Day
|11/16 | Thursday | “B” Day
|11/17 | Friday | “A” Day
|11/18 | Saturday
- Week of 11/20-11/25 – Thanksgiving Break
- Week of 11/27-12/2
- 11/27 – B-Week Clubs
- 11:00-1:00 – Peru Trip Club Field Trip [Las Brasas]
- 5:30 – Varsity Basketball @ WD Mohammed
- 11/29, 5:30 – JV Basketball @ Carver
- 12/1, 6:00 – Varsity Boys Basketball @ Fulton Leadership
- 10:00 – JV Basketball vs. KIPP Atlanta Collegiate [Home]
- 6:00 – Varsity Basketball @ Maynard Jackson
- Week of 12/4-12/9
- 12/4 – A-Week Clubs
- 12/5, 9:30-12:30 – Fiber Arts Field Trip
- JA/SA Science and Engineering Fair
- 6:30 – Harp Concert
- 12/8, 6:00 – “Night at the Museum” SA Dance Concert
- Vex Robotics
- May 19th, 4:00 pm – Class of 2018 Graduation Ceremony [Main Gym]
- June 4-15th – Summer Bridge Program for rising ninth grade students [Georgia Tech]
- The Bank of America Charitable Foundation’s Student Leaders® Program is accepting applications for the 2018 Student Leaders® program. Since its inception in 2005, the Bank of America Student Leaders Program has recognized more than 2,500 exemplary high school juniors and seniors who have a passion for improving their communities. The program helps students gain a greater understanding of how nonprofits create impact in the community and helps develop them as the next generation of community leaders through two components:
- A summer eight-week paid internship with a nonprofit organization selected by the bank. This internship is designed to provide opportunities for the students to develop and apply leadership skills through hands-on work experience, while raising their awareness of community issues addressed by their Host Organization.
- The week-long, all-expense paid Student Leaders Summit in Washington, D.C. from July 8-13, 2018. Conducted in partnership with the Close Up Foundation, the Summit introduces students to aspects of civic, social and business leadership and provides them with knowledge and skills they will use throughout their life to create positive community change.
Students can apply for the program by going to www.bankofamerica.com/studentleaders. Please note the application opens on October 30, 2017 with a deadline of February 2, 2018. There will be no deadline extensions.
- Reminder: Title I Parent Compacts – Each year, as part of the Title I process, we revise and circulate compacts that outline the agreements between families, students, staff and the school. It is important that all families review these compacts, sign and return them. Hard copies will be distributed to students, but I have also linked an electronic copy here. Students should return these to their advisory teacher by Friday, November 10th.
- Reminder: PTA Parent Gatherings – On October 19th we hosted our third PTA Senior Academy Parent Gathering. Thank you to Mr. Doug Ammar from the Georgia Justice Project for presenting.
These gatherings will occur every third Thursday of the month, alternating between 8:15 am and 5:00 pm. The next Parent Gathering will be held at 8:15 am on Thursday, November 16th in the Eva Davis Board Room. This month’s topic will be STANDARDIZED TESTING PREPARATION. Drew Charter School partners with Applerouth Tutoring Services to provide support for Drew students as they prepare for college admissions testing. A representative from Applerouth will present in order to help provide updated information on college admissions testing. We will receive testing updates, best practices, testing resources, and information regarding Drew’s partnership with Applerouth.