Purpose – Drew Charter School serves as a key component of the cradle-to-college pipeline within the holistic East Lake neighborhood revitalization. Appreciating our unique status as a mixed-income school, Drew Charter School’s primary purpose is to provide an excellent education to all children living in the Villages of East Lake so that each student reaches his or her full potential and is launched on a pathway to health, impact and prosperity.
Vision – Drew Charter School students are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and passion to create positive change in the world.
Mission – Drew Charter School is an exemplary, innovative education community that empowers all students to achieve their full potential.
Senior Academy Priorities for the Year
- A school where character and school culture are developed through positive relationships with students, parents, staff and the community.
- A school where we facilitate high quality STEAM/PBL learning, and everyone understands how these principles and practices prepare students for postsecondary success.
- A school that supports all students’ intellectual, social, and emotional growth and understands how these elements impact learning and development.
- The Legacy Class of 2017 and our staff for achieving a graduation rate of 100% (only the second time an APS high school has achieved this feat)!
- Roland Blanding (Legacy Class 2017), who made the Brandeis Debate Team and so far has been to Columbia and Boston University and has debated against Harvard, Yale, Stanford, Bates and a couple more!
- Ms. Harris and Ms. Gillum for hosting an awesome Hispanic Heritage Dance Festival!
- Ms. Davis and the awesome CCR and 11th Grade teams for being a part of the Juniors College and Career night (a electronic copy of the presentation from this night is available here)!
- Ms. Schaffer for the organization of her US History class website!
- Ms. Anderson for her process for individually testing students in orchestra!
- Ms. Gillum for the intensity of her students as they prepare for Dance be-CAUSE!
- Mr. Martin for preparing our seniors to be peer leaders through the Peer Leadership course!
- Ms. Ruffin for her work planning engaging field trips!
|WEEK 11 ~ 10/02 – 10/07|
|10/02 | Monday | “B” Day
|10/03 | Tuesday | “A” Day
|10/04 | Wednesday | “B” Day
|10/05| Thursday | “A” Day
|10/06 | Friday | “B” Day
|10/07 | Saturday
- October 9-13th – No School: Fall Break
- 10/9 – Professional Learning and Planning Day for staff
- 10/10-10/13 – Fall Break [All but annual staff]
- 10/17, 6:00 – FAFSA Completion Night
- 10:30-1:00 – Fiber Arts Field Trip
- 4:30 – Teaching and Learning Committee Meeting
- Lunch+Flex Time – LEAD Atlanta Fearless Dialogues [Select Juniors]
- 5:00 – SA PTA Parent Gathering [Eva Davis Boardroom – Attorney Doug Ammar, who is the Executive Director of the Georgia Justice Project, www.gjp.org will talk about the criminal justice system, knowing your rights and having resources for yourself and others.
- 8:15-9:15 – Senior Breakfast [Cafeteria]
- 6:00-8:00 – Juniors Fundraising Event at Cascade Skating Rink
- 10/24 – 8/9th Grade PSAT Administration [Flyer and resources available here]
- 10/25 – 10/11th Grade PSAT Administration [Flyer and resources available here]
- 10/27 – STEAM Career Day
- 11/3 – Half-Day for Parent Conferences
- 11/8 – PBL Showcase
- 5/19, 4:00 pm – Class of 2018 Graduation Ceremony [Main Gym]
- June 4-15th – Summer Bridge Program for rising ninth grade students [Georgia Tech]
- Reminder: PTA Fall Festival – It’s that time of year again… the Fall Festival is this Saturday, September 30th from 12-4, it’s one of the PTA’s biggest social events of the year! It’s not possible without your help! Here are ways you can get involved. Email email@example.com if you have any questions. We look forward to working with you and seeing you at the Fall Festival!
- VOLUNTEER: there are a wide variety of ways to help and/or donate. http://www.signupgenius.com/go/20f0c49acac2fa75-drew1
- BUY TICKETS: PTA Store at www.drewcharterschoolpta.com Tickets will also be available for purchase before and after school next week.
- BE VENDOR: https://form.jotform.us/72493604484159
- Reminder: PTA Parent Gatherings –
- On September 21st we hosted our second PTA Senior Academy Parent Gathering. Kudos to Ms. Tesi Gillespie from the Dekalb County Board of Health for presenting on STDs.
- These gatherings will occur every third Thursday of the month, alternating between 8:15 am and 5:00 pm. The next Parent Gathering will be held at 5:00 pm on Thursday, October 19th in the Eva Davis Board Room. Attorney Doug Ammar, Executive Director of the Georgia Justice Project, will be presenting and engaging around our children interacting with the police and knowing our rights.
- Kudos to Dr. Nisha Botchway, parent, for providing an online meeting platform for future gatherings. More details are below:
- Join Meeting Link (Computer or phone)
- Direct-dial with my iPhone or
- +1.408.740.7256 (United States)
- +1.888.240.2560 (US Toll Free)
- +1.408.317.9253 (Alternate number)
- Click Here to Become a PTA Member
- Reminder: Infinite Campus Parent Portal – Please note that parents, guardians and students can access class schedules, attendance records and grades through the Parent and Student Portals which are easy-to-use, secure communications tools. Additionally, the Parent Portal enables parents to verify household information, including their email address, home address and telephone numbers. Parents can sign up using the directions available here.
- Reminder: MyPaymentsPlus – In order to make paying for dues, field trips and other fees easier and to limit the use of cash, we have enabled online payments by credit card and bank account through MyPaymentsPlus. Information to register is available on this flyer.