Purpose – Drew Charter School serves as a key component of the cradle-to-college pipeline within the holistic East Lake neighborhood revitalization. Appreciating our unique status as a mixed-income school, Drew Charter School’s primary purpose is to provide an excellent education to all children living in the Villages of East Lake so that each student reaches his or her full potential and is launched on a pathway to health, impact and prosperity.
Vision – Drew Charter School students are equipped with the knowledge, skills, and passion to create positive change in the world.
Mission – Drew Charter School is an exemplary, innovative education community that empowers all students to achieve their full potential.
Senior Academy Priorities for the Year
- A school where character and school culture are developed through positive relationships with students, parents, staff and the community.
- A school where we facilitate high quality STEAM/PBL learning, and everyone understands how these principles and practices prepare students for postsecondary success.
- A school that supports all students’ intellectual, social, and emotional growth and understands how these elements impact learning and development.
- Ms. Kaney, who got married this weekend!!!
- Mr. O’Neill, who rejoins the staff, taking over for Ms. Murray’s 2B Business Communications class!!
- Coach Jelks and the softball team for winning their first game of the season against Langston Hughes Wednesday night!
- Ms. McGee and all of the parents who attended our first PTA Senior Academy Parent Gathering Thursday afternoon (these will be held every third Thursday, alternating between morning and afternoon)!
- Ms. Bryant, Mr. Konieczny, Mr. Myers and PTA and others who helped organize the eclipse viewing today!
- Ms. Foster and Ms. Stinson for organizing a productive Early College orientation this past week!
- Mr. Richardson for continually checking in with senior advisories!
- Mr. Myers and Officer Williams for holding the first restorative circles of the year!
- Mr. Morrison for working to facilitate a productive extended learning!
- Student support staff for their superhero theme for this Friday!
|WEEK 5 ~ 8/21-8/26|
|Monday, 8/21 A Day
|Tuesday, 8/22 B Day
|Wednesday, 8/23 A Day
|Thursday, 8/24 B Day
|Friday, 8/25 A Day
- 8/26, 7:00-10:00 – SA Girls Softball (Dekalb FastPitch Club Diamond Day)
- 8/28, 5:30 – Softball @ Langston Hughes
- 5:00 – Cross Country Meet @Grant Park
- 5:30 – Softball vs. St. Francis (Home – Southside Park)
- 8/31, 6:30 – Varsity Volleyball @ Maynard Jackson/Langston Hughes
- 9/4 – Labor Day [No School]
- 9/21, 8:15 – PTA Senior Academy Parent Gathering
- PTA –
- American Medical Response Explores Program – The American Medical Response 911, EMS Explores Post, supported by the Boy Scouts of America, allows our youth to learn a career path and a trade while in high school, working hand and hand with a professional in the career. AMR will be setting up a post for Dekalb and its surrounding youth. Charles Drew youth, ages 14-19, are invited to the Explores open house. Attached you will find the flyer.
- Omega Psi Phi Essay Contest – Follow this link to information about the Omega Psi Phi International Essay Contest including the Entry Form and details about the local contest; including news that the amount of the local prize has been increased to $1,000.
- Reminder: Free and Reduced Lunch – Breakfast now costs $0.75 and lunch costs $2.50. Students can bring cash, but we would prefer for students either to qualify for free/reduced lunch or for families to pre-pay. Links to both options are included below.
- Click here to submit a Lunch Application. Paper applications are also available in the main office. (Please submit an application, even if your student does not eat school lunch or if you do not anticipate qualifying for free or reduced lunch. It is important for the school to have 100% participation with this process.)
- Click here to pre-pay for student meals
- Reminder: Infinite Campus Parent Portal Access – Parents of students in grades K–12 have access to class schedules, attendance records and grades through the Parent Portal which is an easy-to-use, secure communications tool. Additionally, the Parent Portal enables parents to verify household information, including their email address, home address and telephone numbers. Parents can sign up using the directions available here. Please note that in contrast to last year, students’ grades will be recorded in Infinite Campus, instead of Blackboard. Parent/guardians can secure their own log-in using the link above.
- Reminder: MyPaymentsPlus – In order to make paying for dues, field trips and other fees easier and to limit the use of cash, we have enabled online payments by credit card and bank account through MyPaymentsPlus. Information to register is available on this flyer.
- Reminder: Dues – We need to collect class dues in order to fund many of the cultural events that our students enjoy. Payment of class dues includes access to Midnight Madness and SGA Day of Play as well as a class T-Shirt and participation in other grade-level specific activities.
- Freshman and Sophomore
- Includes participation in prom both junior and senior years
- Senior dues have been reduced by $40 to help reduce the overall cost to students and families.
- Please note that students will still need to purchase their cap, gown, tassel and stole which we expect to cost approximately $65.
- See new flyer for additional information
- Freshman and Sophomore
- Spirit Wear – We are excited to announce a Free Logo Promotion with Tommy Hilfiger School Uniforms now through August 14th, 2017! You can add our school logo for FREE! No promotion code is needed. The free logo price will automatically be reflected on our Tommy Hilfiger School Uniforms website! Please see the attached flyer for details.